Constitutional guarantees generate negative externalities for the brazilian health system
Palavras-chave:Court decision arguments. Public health. Judicial arguments.
The research was conducted in 27 Brazilian courts of law. We aimed to know the legal demands on health and the arguments made by the patient, the defense, and the judge in judicial hearings. For this, we used the method of case law research. The research unit was Brazilian judicial processes with the material object of health demands, decided between 2012 and 2013.The results showed reliance on constitutional arguments for both the request and the decision, while the defense was based on diverse and obsolete legal points. It was concluded that judges have decided questions about health using purely legal arguments and reproducing points made by the patient. The defense of the Brazilian health system is fragile due to the lack of an adequate legal rationale.
- Bardin, L. Análise de Conteúdo. São Paulo: Almedina Brasil; 2011
– Atienza,M. O Direito como Argumentação. Lisboa: Escolar, 2014
- Menicucci, TMG; Machado, JA. Judicialization of health policy in the definition of access to public goods: individual rights versus collective rights. Brazilian. Political Science. Review. [online]. 2010, vol.5 Selected edition, pp. 33-68.
- Trevisan, L M et al. Access to treatment for phenylketonuria by judicial means in Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil. Ciência e saúde coletiva [online]. 2015, vol.20, n.5, pp. 1607-1616.
Sant'ana, JMB; Pepe, VLE; Osorio-de-Castro, CGS and Ventura, M. Essencialidade e assistência farmacêutica: considerações sobre o acesso a medicamentos mediante ações judiciais no Brasil. Rev Panam Salud Publica [online]. 2011, vol.29, n.2, pp. 138-144.
Gomes, FFC et al. Acesso aos procedimentos de média e alta complexidade no Sistema Único de Saúde: uma questão de judicialização. Cad. Saúde Pública [online]. 2014, vol.30, n.1, pp. 31-43.
- Biehl J, Amon JJ, Socal MP, Petryna A. Between the court and the clinic: lawsuits for medicines and the right to health in Brazil. Health Hum Rights 2012; 14(1):E36-52.
- Biehl J, Petryna A, Gertner A, Amon JJ, Picon PD. Judicialisation of the right to health in Brazil. Lancet. 2009 Jun 27; 373(9682):2182-4.
- Yamin AE. Editorial: promoting equity in health: what role for courts? Health Hum Rights;16(2): E1-9, 2014
- Vargas-Peláez CM; Rover MR; Leite SN; Rossi Buenaventura F; Farias MR. Right to health, essential medicines, and lawsuits for access to medicines--a scoping study. Social Science and Medicine;121:48-55, 2014 Nov.
- Guimarães R. Technological incorporation in the Unified Health System (SUS): the problem and ensuing challenges. Cien Saude Colet; 19(12):4899-908, 2014 Dec.
- Gomes Fde F; Cherchiglia ML; Machado CD; Santos VC; Acurcio Fde A; Andrade EI. Access to medium and high-complexity procedures in the Brazilian Unified National Health System: a matter of judicialization. Cadernos de Saúde Pública; 30(1):31-43, 2014 Jan.